At Ako Rolleston we value looking after Papatuanuku (Mother Earth) through the development of sustainable practices. Environmentalism and sustainability are interwoven throughout all aspects of our curriculum as we aim to develop our children’s connection to the natural world and foster their sense of global citizenship.
Ways we do this include:
- Inviting Tock , the time travelling robot with a mission to save the planet, to teach us about sustainable practices.
- Regular baking experiences for our morning and afternoon tea.
- Planting food such as broccoli, strawberries, and lettuce.
- Maintaining our vegetable and herb gardens.
- Caring for our pets..
- Teaching about local and global issues such as water usage.
- Having plastic free lunch boxes, to cut down on our waste.